Wednesday, November 14, 2007

undiscipline

Obedience to God vs. self-discipline...I have lots of time to reflect, particularly on the events and circumstances in my life. Situations that seem "random" but they are God's appointed order, His divine designs that happen anywhere and everywhere. If I view my "random" circumstances through my fleshly eyes, I am like Peter: sinking, and fast! But if I choose to walk with eyes of faith, being obedient whether my vision or dream or desire is in my proper order, than God can do abundantly more than I can ever ask, think or imagine. Do I believe this?


Oswald Chambers. The man walked with God. In "My Utmost For His Highest," November 14 excerpt, he says, "Beware of being obsessed with consistency to your own convictions instead of being devoted to God." Am I more obsessed with my discipline to the physical...training, being prepared, basketball, and how "I" think it must look, because that is what you "do"? And if it does not fall into place that way, than I must change something or "do" more? But this is how I have always done things. Do I dare to function differently now, as I am more sanctified to His image, His mind? Quite possibly, and maybe I am not supposed to do anything besides be obedient to the "randomness," go with what makes no sense to me, and completely defy my ideas of discipline...to follow unreason, inconsistency, what seems absurd, but really is the guidance of the One within me, choosing to see Him in the "random" events that are nothing less than His order.


Consistency is my order, planned and designed events; inconsistency is God's order. There was never a more inconsistent person on earth than Jesus, but He was never inconsistent with His Father, as He was led by His Father. And my life is now the same, led by my Shepherd's voice...completely contrary to this world, but nevertheless the leading of His sanctifying Spirit within me who intercedes on my behalf when I am about to drown. And what Mr. Chambers states is true: "The important consistency in a saint is not to a principle but to the divine life. It is the divine life that continually makes more and more discoveries about the divine mind."


The last time I checked, the divine life is entirely contrary to this world. Maybe I should begin thinking opposite of what this world trains me to think and walk in the way of undiscipline to self. And it makes no human sense.

No comments: