Sunday, November 4, 2007

fragrance


Yesterday I moved into my new apartment, with my new roommates, that I know little about, except that one is seriously on a journey after God...and little does she know that Jesus just moved in with her.

As I was settling in for the evening, the smell of marijuana (which interestingly is legal here, as are most things...indifference has had an incredibly blinding and numbing effect in this culture) filtered into my room. In that moment, all I could do was smile and say, "Okay Jesus."

2 Corinthians 2:14-16 is resonating within me, "But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life."

It has become so clear to me how different my life is compared to the past few years. This is the reality of the world we are "strangers and aliens" in, and I am the face of Christ in literally everything I do. My life is a sweet, contrasting aroma to the only smell of life these women have known, because their life at this moment is the stench of death.

Jesus, would you be a heart-penetrating aroma from this room, throughout this apartment, in the gym, and into the very lives of those around me?! They want the fragrance of truth, and this is only found in "the knowledge of Him"...knowing You.

No comments: