Monday, November 19, 2007

judgment

I hate that my first thought when I look at someone who has just stepped out of church to have a smoke is judgment. I do not even have to "think"...it quickly and automatically runs through my mind before I realize the thoughts are rampant. Who taught me that? Was it the world, or was it the church?

I have no idea about their story, where they are at on their journey, and I judge them according to my own view: my self-righteous, "churchy," "have it all together," prideful flesh. But the truth is, this person very well could be more passionately in love with Jesus, who just happens to struggle with this tangible addiction, which is no different than my struggle with seeking approval from others. The only difference is, you just would not know it because you cannot see it.

Further, why do I create a "me" versus "them" mindset, as if I set myself apart from the real world I live in? There is no Christ sub-culture; there is only culture, with its own history and uniqueness that make itself different from another. And that culture is still Christ's culture - He is still there.

Jesus, retrain and restore my mind to how you intended and designed it: like You. Strip away my judgments and replace them with your love. I am so needy...

No comments: