Friday, December 28, 2012

loss?

Yes, furthermore, I count everything as loss compared to the possession of the priceless privilege (the overwhelming preciousness, the surpassing worth, and supreme advantage) of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord and of progressively becoming more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him [of perceiving and recognizing and understanding Him more fully and clearly'. For His sake I have lost everything and consider it all to be mere rubbish, in order that I may win (gain) Christ. Philippians 3:8

Like Paul, can I genuinely profess this? Or instead, do I wonder inwardly, "How much more will You ask me to 'lose,' or merely to 'give up,' to gain more of You?" And is it really a "loss" or just sacrificing of privileges and comforts? Is gaining more of You - more understanding, knowledge, vision, sight, hearing, perceiving, simply knowing You - is this a "loss"?!

Because knowing You means "priceless privilege"...overwhelming preciousness, surpassing worth, supreme advantage. Do I truly have a mind to unpack these truths? It all comes down to knowing You, which actually means "gaining" something...more deeply and intimately acquainted with Jesus, my Savior, the God of the Universe, my Father. This is what we all long for at the core of our being: intimacy and unconditional love. Gaining Christ is gaining my life.

Sure, I do wonder...but isn't this the privilege God offers?

So, how much am I willing to lose, that I may know, and so be able to see?

No comments: